Carla Hall and Clinton Kelly Salt ‘n’ Pepper Chicken Pot
Add a little flare to your chicken pot pie with this delicious salt and pepper crust!
Watch Recipe Clip
SALT ‘N’ PEPPER CHICKEN POT PIE
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 carrots (chopped)
- 1 cup peas
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 cups store-bought rotisserie chicken (skin removed, shredded)
- 1 bunch kale (stems removed and chopped)
- Salt and Pepper Pie Dough
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper (plus more)
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1/2 pound cold, unsalted butter (sticks cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced)
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (plus more for rolling)
- 1 egg plus one tablespoon of water (whisked to combine)
- coarse sea salt (to finish)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt the butter in a large heavy bottomed pot over medium heat. Add the onions, carrots, peas and tarragon. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until the vegetables are translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the flour and stir to coat the vegetables. Cook for 1 minute to eliminate the raw flour taste.
- Slowly add the stock, stirring to eliminate lumps. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to low. Cook until the sauce has thickened and the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the heavy cream, nutmeg, shredded chicken and kale. Bring back to a simmer and stir to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Roll out the two disks of pie dough (recipe follows) into 1/4-inch thick rounds. Line the bottom of an 8-inch deep-dish cast iron pan with one of the rolled out doughs. Press into the bottom of the pan and along the sides. Prick the dough with a fork. Place a sheet of parchment on top of the dough, fill with baking beans and transfer to a sheet tray. Place in the oven and bake the crust until golden, about 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from the oven. Remove the parchment paper and baking beans and set aside.
- Fill the baked crust with the chicken pot pie filling. Top with the other rolled out dough. Press to crimp the edges. Use your knife to cut a few slits in the top of the pie crust. Brush with egg wash. Sprinkle the top with coarse sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper. Place in the oven to bake until the top is golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before serving.
- For Salt and Pepper Pie Crust: in a small bowl, dissolve the salt in the water. Refrigerate until very cold, about 30 minutes. During that time, refrigerate your butter, flour, mixer bowl, and paddle.
- In the chilled bowl, combine the cold butter and flour. With your hands, toss the butter in the flour until each piece is lightly coated. Break up the butter into smaller pieces with your fingertips. Add the water and pepper. Mix until the dough comes together in big chunks.
- Turn dough out onto a clean work surface. Divide the chunks of dough in half and gently pat each into a round 1-inch-thick disk.
- Wrap each disk tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour, before rolling. You can refrigerate the disks for up to 1 day or freeze for up to 3 months.