Carla Hall Buttermilk Cheesecake with a Rhubarb Glaze
Earlier today on “The Chew” chef Carla Hall made a fabulous buttermilk cheesecake with a rhubarb glaze (and chocolate cookie crumbs) that will be an absolute treat for family and friends this spring.
BUTTERMILK CHEESECAKE WITH A RHUBARB GLAZE
- For the crust
- 2 cups chocolate wafer cookies
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- For the filling
- 2 pounds cream cheese (softened)
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs (room temperature)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk (room temperature)
- For the rhubarb glaze
- 1 cup rhubarb (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 lemon (juice and zest)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- For the Crust: preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Prepare a 9-inch spring form pan with cooking spray. In the base of a food processor, pulse together the crust ingredients until the cookies are fine crumbs and the ingredients have incorporated. Press evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely while preparing the filling. Once cooled, wrap the outside and bottom with two pieces of heavy duty aluminum foil.
- For the Filling: beat together the cream cheese and sugar until fluffy, about 5 minutes. Beat in one egg at a time, making sure to incorporate fully between each addition. Add the salt and vanilla extract and buttermilk. Mix just until combined.
- Pour the batter over the prepared, cooled crust. Place the cheesecake inside a roasting pan. Transfer the pan to the preheated oven. Carefully pour warm water into the roasting pan until it reaches halfway up the sides of the spring form. Cook until just slightly jiggly in the center, about an hour and 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the rhubarb glaze.
- Combine all the ingredients in a medium pot. Whisk to combine until smooth. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture has thickened and the rhubarb is tender, about 15 minutes. Blend until smooth and cool to room temperature.
- Remove cheesecake from oven and place spring form gently on a cooling rack. Cool to room temperature. Pour the cooled glaze over the top of the cooled caked. Place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours