This dessert packs all the flavors of apple pie without all of the calories!
SPICED BAKED APPLES
4 apples (such as Empire or McCintosh)
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup walnuts (roughly chopped)
4 tablespoons butter (room temperature)
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2 tablespoons Calvados
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup apple cider
1/4 cup low-fat Greek yogurt
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly spray a 9inch x 9inch baking dish with cooking spray.
Remove stem from the apples. Using a spoon, core the apples leaving the bottom in tact. Place the apples in the prepared baking dish.
In a bowl, add the raisins, walnuts, butter, honey, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, Calvados and salt. Stir to combine. Divide the mixture evenly between the four apples, spooning them into the inside of the cored apple. Pour the cider into the base of the prepared pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the apples are tender.
Let cool slightly. Serve the baked apples with a dollop of yogurt on top.
Alternate Spices and Fillings:
– dried cherries, almonds, brandy, freshly ground black pepper
– dried cranberries, pecans, orange juice and zest, maple syrup, ground fennel seed
– dried apricots, pistachios, lime juice and zest, ground cardamom
– On a healthy note: Instead of butter, use coconut oil!
– On an indulgent note: Serve with a scoop of warm vanilla ice cream!
– Serve the baked apple alongside a pork chop or with a savory cheese board.