GLAZED CORNED BEEF AND CABBAGE ON RYE
- 3 pounds corned beef
- 1/2 cup honey mustard (plus more)
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 head green cabbage (thinly sliced)
- 1 red onion (thinly sliced)
- 1/4 cup parsley (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds (toasted)
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 loaves toasted rye bread
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place the corned beef in a 9×13 baking dish. In a small bowl, combine the honey mustard and brown sugar. Brush the fatty side of the corned beef with half of the honey mustard mixture. Pour enough water into the baking dish so that it covers about 1″ of the beef. Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil. Bake for 3 hours. Uncover and brush the corned beef with the rest of the honey mustard mixture. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, add the vinegar, granulated sugar and olive oil to a large bowl and whisk to combine. Add the cabbage, onion, parsley, and caraway seeds. Toss to coat and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Remove meat to a platter and let rest for 10 minutes. Cut the corned beef on a diagonal, against the grain, into 1/2″ slices.
- To Build the Sandwich: Slather some honey mustard on one side of two pieces of bread. Top one piece of toast with a few slices of corned beef. Top with the cabbage slaw. Top the sandwich with the second piece of toast, mustard-side down. Repeat with remaining ingredients.Tips
– You can make the slaw a few hours in advance. The longer it sits, the more tender the cabbage will get.
– Use a mandolin to slice the cabbage for very thin slices, or buy store-bought slaw mixture for a shortcut.