HAM AND CHEESE DANISH
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 1 onion (thinly sliced)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup gruyere (shredded)
- 4 slices cooked ham
- 3 large eggs (divided)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup creme fraiche
- 2 tablespoons chives (finely chopped)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a medium sauté pan over medium low heat, add 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add sliced onions and cook until onions turn golden and release their natural sugar, about 20 – 30 minutes. Add a bit of water to the pan as necessary if brown bits begin to form on the bottom of the pan. Season with salt and pepper. Allow onions to cool.
- To form the danish, begin with the long edge of the pastry on the bottom of your work surface. On the right half of the pastry, place half caramelized onions, half the cheese and half the ham, leaving a 1″ border around the edges. Repeat with remaining ingredients, seasoning each layer.
- In a small bowl, beat one egg. Brush the 1″ border with the beaten egg then carefully fold the pastry over the ingredients like you’re closing a book. Crimp the edges all around the border to seal and transfer the pastry to a parchment lined sheet pan. Brush the entire pastry with the beaten egg. Using a sharp knife, cut a few slits in the top of the pastry. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- In a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat, add butter. Once the butter has foamed and subsided, crack remaining 2 eggs into the skillet. Fry to over-easy, flipping once during the cooking.
- Top the danish with fried eggs, garnish with creme fraiche and chopped chives.Tips
– Add sliced serrano chiles inside the danish for a spicy treat!
– Fill the danish with your favorite fillings, such as chocolate-hazelnut spread and bananas for the kids.