All the delicious flavors of sloppy joes but without the guilt! This lightened up version of your favorite summer camp meal will please the whole family!
- 1 medium yellow onion (medium dice)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 1/2 pounds ground dark meat chicken
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 russet potato (grated)
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 bottle lager beer
- 4 potato buns
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- extra-virgin olive oil
- Heat a few tablespoons of olive oil in a medium sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, season with salt and pepper, and cook until softened, about 4 minutes.
- Add the spices, and stir to combine. Cook for a minute or 2 to toast the spices. Then add the ground chicken, breaking up the meat with the back of a wooden spoon. Cook until the chicken has browned, about 8 minutes. Next, stir in the potato, tomato paste, and ketchup and cook for 3-5 minutes. Pour in the beer, bring to a simmer and cook for 5-10 minutes more.
- Remove from heat and serve on potato buns.
Watch Recipe Clip