- 2 yellow onions (sliced)
- 8 ounces thick-cut bacon
- 1 pound chicken tenders
- 1 jalapeno (sliced)
- 3 cloves garlic (sliced)
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 pound pizza dough
- 1 cup finely chopped dill pickles
- 8 ounces shredded yellow cheddar cheese
- salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- canola oil for frying
- Fill a large heavy-bottomed pot 3-inches high with oil. Preheat oil to 360° F.
- Preheat a skillet over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and the onions. Cook for 10 minutes. Then, turn the heat to low and cook for an additional 30 minutes, until the onions are deep brown and caramelized. Set aside.
- Preheat a grill or sauté pan to medium-high heat. Add the bacon and cook, about 3-4 minutes per side. Set aside and chop.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken tenders with salt and pepper. Add a drizzle of olive oil to the pan. Once hot, add the chicken. Cook, until golden-brown on both sides. Add the jalapenos, garlic, chopped grilled bacon, caramelized onions and white wine. Bring to a simmer and cook until liquid has reduced. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Roll out the pizza dough on a floured work surface until 1/4-inch thick. Cut a 4-inch round piece of dough out. Place some chopped pickles on top of the round piece of dough. Then, chop the chicken mixture and place some on top of the pickles. Top with shredded cheese. Water the edge of the dough. Enclose the dough and press the seam to close. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Place the mini calzone in the hot oil and fry until golden-brown, about 4 minutes. Set aside to cool.