OVEN-ROASTED BLT WITH TANGY MAYO
- 1/2 pound double thick bacon (about 8 slices)
- 4 slices pullman or sourdough bread, sliced 1/4″ thick and toasted
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- oven dried tomatoes (see recipe below)
- 1/2 red onion (shaved thinly)
- 12-16 fresh basil leaves
FOR THE TANGY MAYO
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cup canola oil
FOR THE OVEN-DRIED TOMATOES
- 3 pounds vine ripened tomatoes (or beef steak) sliced 1/4″ thick
- olive oil
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- For the Oven-Dried Tomatoes: Preheat your oven to 300°F.
- Place a roasting rack over a sheet tray and spray with cooking spray. Lay the tomato slices out on the roasting rack then drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with the thyme leaves. Bake until slightly dried (2.5 – 3 hours).
- For the Bacon: Preheat your oven to 425°F. Lay the bacon out in an even layer on a parchment-lined sheet tray and bake until golden and crisp (about 18 minutes). Remove to paper towels to drain.
- For the Tangy Mayo: In the bowl of a food processor add the egg yolks, water, vinegars and salt. Puree until combined then pour in the oil in a thin stream while the processor is running. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
- To build the BLTs: Spread one piece of bread with 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard and the other piece with a thick layer of mayonnaise. On top of the mayonnaise add the bacon, breaking each piece in half to fit on the bread, using 4 pieces. Top with 3-4 oven dried tomatoes, some shaved red onion and basil leaves. Top with the other piece of bread, mustard side down. Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make another sandwich then slice diagonally and serve.