BLACK SPAGHETTI WITH ROCK SHRIMP AND CHORIZO
- 1 pound black spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup ground, fresh chorizo
- 2 tablespoons jalapenos (chopped)
- 1 red onion (thinly sliced)
- 4 cloves garlic (sliced)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 pound rock shrimp
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup scallions (sliced on a bias)
- Bring 6 quarts of water to a boil and add about 2 tablespoons salt.
- Heat oil in a 12 to 14 inch sauté pan. Add the chorizo and cook until well browned (about 8 minutes). Break up the sausage as it cooks with a wooden spoon or a potato masher. Add the jalapeños, red onion, and garlic, and sauté for 3 minutes or so. Add the white wine and continue cooking about 30 seconds. Add the shrimp and chili flakes and cook, stirring, until just cooked (about 2 minutes).
- Meanwhile, boil spaghetti in the boiling water until tender yet al dente. Drain pasta and add to the skillet, along with a small ladle-full of pasta water. Add the scallions and toss until pasta is well-coated. Finish with another drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil and serve.
– Substitute black pasta with regular pasta.
– Substitute the chorizo or hot Italian sausage or bacon.