Mario Batali Chocolate-Hazelnut Crepe Cake
Layers of this French delicacy sandwiched in between layers of decadent hazelnut filling make for an absolutely amazing dessert! Mario’s recipe is perfect for an upcoming office party, serves twelve and a very simple recipe list.
CHOCOLATE-HAZELNUT CREPE CAKE
- For the Crepes
- 2 cups hazelnut flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups whole milk
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 cup melted butter
FOR THE FILLING
- 5 cups extra-thick double cream
FOR THE CHOCOLATE GLAZE
- 1 cup heavy cream (warmed)
- 10 ounces chocolate powder drink mix
- 1/4 cup toasted, chopped hazelnuts (to garnish)
- In a large bowl, whisk together the two flours and a pinch of salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs and butter. Pour the liquid mixture into the flour mixture and whisk until well combined and there are no lumps. Allow the batter to stand for 6 hours or up to overnight.
- Preheat a large nonstick pan over medium heat. Pour about 3 tablespoons of batter into the pan. Cook until pale golden on the bottom, about 1 minute. Flip and cook just 5 or 10 seconds on the second side. Remove and set aside. Continue the process until all the batter has been used. (At this point you can freeze the crepes. Wrap stacks of up to 20 crepes tightly in plastic and then in foil; when ready to use, thaw overnight.)
- For the Chocolate Glaze: Heat the heavy cream in a small sauce pot until warmed. Add the cocoa powder and whisk until smooth.
- To Assemble: Spread a couple tablespoons of double cream filling onto a crepe. Top with another crepe. Continue with alternating layers of filling and crepes, finishing with a layer of crepe. Drizzle the chocolate glaze over the crepe cake. Garnish with toasted, chopped hazelnuts.
– Make the crepe batter the night before and store in the fridge.
– If you can’t find a spoonable double cream. Whip 2 cups heavy cream and 1/2 cup sugar to stiff peaks.