Bring the flavors of Italy to your kitchen with this pasta recipe from Mario!
1 pound spaghettini
- 4 cupsolive oil
- 4 medium zucchini (thinly sliced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoonchili flakes (or to taste)
- 1/2 cuppasta water
- 3/4 cup Basic Tomato Sauce
- 1/4 cupricotta salata (grated, plus more to garnish)
- 1/2 bunch fresh mint (torn)
- Place a large pot of water over high heat. Bring to a boil and season with salt. Cook spaghettini according to package directions.
- Onto a paper towel-lined baking sheet, add the sliced zucchini. Generously season with salt and let sit for 15 minutes. Using a paper towel, blot any excess moisture from the zucchini slices.
- In a large, high-sided sauté pan, add the olive oil and place over medium-high heat. In batches, add the zucchini and fry for 4-5 minutes, until golden brown. With a slotted spoon, remove zucchini to a paper towel-lined platter and set aside.
- In another large sauté pan over medium heat, add 3 tablespoons of olive oil (from the original high sided sauté pan), garlic and chili flake, cook for 1 minute. Add the pasta water and tomato sauce, and bring to a simmer. Add the cooked pasta, fried zucchini and the ricotta salata, and toss to combine. Garnish with more cheese and fresh torn mint.
- Helpful Tips: use a mandolin or a food processor fitted with a slicing attachment to thinly slice the zucchini.