Clams with Beans Stew
• 1/4 cup olive oil
• 1 small red onion (peeled and thinly sliced)
• 3 cloves garlic (peeled and sliced)
• 1 pinch saffron (about 1/2 teaspoon)
• 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
• 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
• 2 pounds littleneck clams (rinsed and scrubbed)
• 1 cup white wine
• 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs (toasted)
• parsley (roughly chopped to garnish)
• 4 pieces crusty bread (cut into 1-inch pieces and toasted)
• 3 cups fava beans (shelled, blanched and peeled)
• kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
1 To a high-sided sauté pan, add olive oil and place over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic sauté until almost tender, about 4 minutes. Add saffron, paprika and red pepper flakes and cook an additional minute. Add the clams, white wine, 1/2-1 cup water, and cover, shaking the pan occasionally. Allow to steam until the clams open, about 5 minutes. Season with Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add the fava beans. Season with Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
2 Rub toasted bread with a piece of raw garlic. Place toast in the bottom of a shallow bowl. Serve clams and broth over the bread. Garnish with parsley and toasted bread crumbs and crusty bread.
3 To Prepare the Fava Beans: remove the fava beans from the pod. Add to a pot of boiling water for 30 seconds then remove and place in ice water. After beans have cooled, remove the waxy coating.
– Serve with Spanish hard cider!
– Remove any of the clams that didn’t open. They were dead and are not good to eat.