PIADINE WITH GRILLED STEAK & SPRING VEGGIES
- 2 pounds Tri-Tip
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 cup lard or solid vegetable shortening (at room temperature)
- 1 cup water
GREEK LEMON VINAIGRETTE
- 3/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano (finely chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (grated on a microplane)
- 1 1/2 cups olive oil
- Kosher salt and Freshly ground black pepper
GRILLED SPRING VEGGIES
- 1 pound thick green asparagus (end trimmed)
- 1/2 pound ramps (cleaned & root end trimmed)
- olive oil
- kosher salt Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium high heat.
- For the Piadine: In a standing mixer fitted with the dough hook, blend the flour, baking soda, salt and lard at medium-low speed until the mixture resembles coarse meal. With the machine on, add the water in a thin stream and mix until the dough forms a ball. Increase the speed to medium and knead for 5 minutes.
- Roll the dough into an 8-inch log and cut into 12 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball and arrange on a baking sheet. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Heat a cast-iron griddle on the preheated grill.
- On an unfloured work surface, roll out each ball of dough to a thin 7-inch round. Working in batches, griddle the piadine just until lightly browned on the bottom, 1 to 2 minutes. Turn and brown the other side, 1 minute more.
- Keep the piadine warm in foil in a preheated oven while you cook the rest.
- Make the Greek Lemon Vinaigrette: In a mixing bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, oregano and garlic. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil while whisking constantly then season with salt and pepper.
- For the Tri-Tip: Remove the steak from the refrigerator and place in a baking dish. Season the steak generously with salt and pepper on both sides. Drizzle some of the Greek Lemon Vinaigrette over the steak to coat both sides. Let the steak marinate for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Remove the tri-tip from the marinade and place on the preheated grill. Grill the tri-tip, turning halfway through cooking, about 12 minutes total for medium-rare. Transfer to a cutting board and let stand while you grill the spring veggies.
- For the Grilled Veggies: Lay out the asparagus in an even layer on a sheet tray. Drizzle some of the vinaigrette over the veggies. Toss to coat. Place on the grill and cook, turning occasionally until nicely charred and almost cooked through, about 8-10 minutes.
- Then, lay out the ramps on a sheet tray and drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, then place on the grill. Cook, turning once until nicely charred, 1-2 minutes.
- Thinly slice the steak and serve with piadine and grilled vegetables. Drizzle with lemon vinaigrette.