- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (not dutch-processed)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
FOR THE FILLING
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch salt
FOR THE GANACHE
- 8 ounces heavy cream
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate (roughly chopped)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF. Prepare a 9×13 pan by spraying it with cooking spray then lining the bottom with parchment paper. Spray the parchment paper again. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add both of the sugars and whisk to incorporate.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the sour cream, water, vanilla extract, vegetable oil and eggs. Add the bowl with the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix to thoroughly combine. Pour into your prepared 9×13 pan and place in the oven for 40-45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow to cool until easy to handle.
- Flip over the baking pan, allowing the cake to come out. Remove the parchment and using a 2 1/2” biscuit cutter, cut out 12 rounds. Using a smaller (1 inch) biscuit cutter, make a shallow “cut” out of the center of the round, not pressing all the way through. Scoop out the center and reserve the “cap” you just removed.
- Pipe some of the filling into the hole in the center of each cake. Replace the cap you took out, sealing the hole. Repeat with the remaining cakes then brush each with a layer of ganache. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet, chocolate ganache side up and refrigerate until the chocolate hardens.
- Remove from refrigerator and place them chocolate side down. Using a fork, coat the cakes in the ganache, letting the excess drip off.
- Refrigerate until ready to eat.
- For the filling: In a small sauce pot whisk together the milk and cornstarch while still cold. Place over medium heat and bring to a gentle simmer, stirring occasionally. Continue to stir until the mixture has thickened. Remove from the heat and cool completely.
- Meanwhile in the bowl of a stand mixer cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla, salt and the chilled milk mixture. Whip on medium high speed for about 3 minutes, until light and fluffy. Place into a piping bag.
- For the ganache: Heat the cream in a saucepot over medium heat until just starting to simmer.
- Place the chocolate in a mixing bowl. Pour the heated cream over the chocolate and let stand for 1 minute, allowing the chocolate to begin to melt.
- Stir until all of the chocolate is melted and the cream is incorporated. Stir in the butter. Let the ganache cool for about 5 minutes before dipping the cakes.Tip
– The parchment bottom liner can be done by setting your pan on top of a piece of parchment then tracing the bottom. Cut out where you traced then you will have the perfect fitting liner