- 1 1/2 pounds ground chorizo
- 4 slices colby cheese (1 ounce each)
- 1 cup cilantro sprigs
- 4 potato rolls
- olive oil
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 tomatillos (husked, washed, then halved)
- 1 small red onion (quartered)
- 1 jalapeno (seeded and halved)
- olive oil
- 2 limes (juiced)
- Heat a cast iron pan or grill pan to medium high heat.
- Form the chorizo into 4 balls and flatten with your palm.
- Add a drizzle of olive oil to the preheated pan and place the burgers on. With a spatula press each burger down further to form thin patties. Let them caramelize for 3-4 minutes without moving to form a good crust. Flip the burger and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium low and top with the cheese. Cover with a lid and let the cheese melt.
- Meanwhile, spread some mayonnaise on both sides of each bun. Griddle the buns until lightly toasted.
- Place the cooked cheeseburgers on the toasted buns. Top each burger with cilantro and some tomatillo salsa and serve.
- For the Tomatillo salsa: preheat oven to 450ºF. Lay the tomatillos, red onion and jalapeno on a sheet tray and drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper then roast until slightly charred and softened, about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly. Pour into the bowl of a food processor and puree until relatively smooth. Add the cilantro and lime juice and season with salt.