GROUND BEEF SKEWERS WITH TZATZIKI
- For Tzatziki
- 8 ounces Greek yogurt
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 1/2 tablespoons mint (finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup cucumber (minced)
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 10 ” skewers, soaked in water
- 1 recipe of Twice-Cooked French fries, to serve
- For the Tzatziki: In a mixing bowl combine the yogurt, garlic, lemon zest, dill, mint and cucumber. Season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to use.
*This can be done the night before or a few hours before to really let the flavors meld.
- For the Souvlaki: In a mixing bowl combine all of the ingredients. Gently mix to thoroughly combine. Using a 1/4 cup measure, scoop 6 balls of the meat mixture. Roll each ball in to a 5” log then press a skewer in to it. Push the skewer in to the meat until it is in the center. Pinch the meat around it and continue to roll in a log on the stick. Repeat with the remaining meat.
**This can also be done a night ahead of time or a few hours ahead of time to let the flavors come out.
- Preheat a grill or grill pan over medium high heat. Add the souvlaki and cook until nicely charred and grill marked, 12-15 minutes (about 3 minutes per side).
- To Serve: place the fries in a paper cone, stick 1-2 souvlaki in to it and dallop with the tzatziki.