Make your waffles savory with this delicious dish!
SAVORY WAFFLES WITH SMOKED KIELBASA AND HONEY BUTTER
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 stick butter (melted)
- 1/2 cup leftover caramelized onions
- 1 cup leftover cooked brown rice
- 2 sticks unsalted butter (softened)
- 1 pound smoked kielbasa (cut into 1-inch coins, for serving)
- 1/4 cup scallions (root end removed, thinly sliced)
- 1 cup apple butter
- maple syrup (warmed, to serve)
- hot sauce (to taste)
- In a large bowl add the flour, wheat flour, baking powder and salt and whisk to combine.
- In another bowl, add the eggs, milk, melted butter and caramelized onions and whisk to combine. Add the wet mixture to the dry, mix to combine. Add rice, season with freshly ground black pepper and mix to combine. Set aside.
- Preheat waffle iron and grease with cooking spray. Scoop batter into waffle iron, allow to cook until golden brown and crisp. Repeat until all of the batter is used.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat and add 1 teaspoon oil. Add the kielbasa and brown on both sides. Add the scallions and cook until translucent.
- Top the waffles with apple butter, kielbasa, a drizzle of maple syrup and some hot sauce.