Spicy Tortilla Salad with Grilled Corn & Tomatoes
- 1 quartcanola oil (for frying)
- 2 ears corn (shucked and cleaned)
- 1 tablespoonolive oil (plus 1/4 cup)
- 1/4 cupfresh lime juice
- 1 poundHeirloom tomatoes (cut into large dice, about 3 cups)
- 1/2 red onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 jalapeno (thinly sliced)
- 1/2 cupcilantro leaves (roughly torn)
- 6 large, white corn tortillas
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. In a large, heavy bottomed pot, preheat canola oil to 350ºF.
- On a baking sheet, add the corn and drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Rub to evenly coat. Place seasoned corn on the grill for 3-5 minutes, turning occasionally, until charred on all sides. Remove to a cutting board to cool. When cool enough to handle, run a sharp knife along the side of the corn to remove the kernels.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the lime juice and ¼ cup olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and whisk to combine. Add the charred corn kernels, tomatoes, red onion, jalapeno and cilantro, and mix to combine. Set aside to marinate.
- To the preheated oil, add 1 or 2 tortillas. Fry for about 1 minute per side, until light golden brown and crisp. Remove fried tortillas to a paper towel-lined plate and immediately season with salt. After all of the tortillas are fried and cooled, break them up into large pieces. Add the fried tortilla pieces to the salad, and gently mix to combine. Serve immediately.
- Helpful Tips:
– For a shortcut, use store-bought tortilla chips instead of frying tortillas.
– Substitute with your favorite seasonal vegetables and herbs for ultimate flavor!